The jCOM.J1939.USB gateway board is a high-performance, low-latency vehicle network adapter for SAE J1939 applications. It allows any host device with a USB COM port to monitor SAE J1939 data traffic and communicate with the SAE J1939 vehicle network.
The board supports the full SAE J1939 protocol according to J1939/81 Network Management (Address Claiming) and J1939/21 Transport Protocol (TP). It is also supported by an extensive programming interface for Windows and Linux/Ubuntu applications, including full C/C++/C# source code for short time-to-market developments.
The strength of the board lies in the fact that the entire SAE J1939 protocol, including all timing requirements, is stored on-chip, thus taking the burden off the main system. The board uses a USB COM port to communicate with the main system, i.e. all data transfer is handled through a standard COM port access. The communication protocol between the board and the main system is well documented and thus allows a porting to any computer system with a USB connection. Working source code libraries exist for Windows (C# under Visual Studio 2102/2013), Linux and its derivatives (C++ using Code::Blocks), and Raspberry Pi (C using the standard gcc compiler).
With all its features, the jCOM.J1939.USB allows the simulation of an SAE J1939 ECU (Electronic Control Unit) using embedded solutions such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Arduino, Teensy, and others but also PCs running Windows or Linux (incl. Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.).
jCOM.J1939.USB General Features:
- Full SAE J1939 Protocol on chip
- Virtually OS independent
- Easily adaptable; just access the COM port
- Works with PCs, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Teensy, Arduino
- Protocol is well documented
- C source code available
- Windows tool: jCOM1939 Monitor
- Power applied through USB port
- Power consumption 0.486 W – 0.097A @ 5VDC
(Average; changes with CAN bus load)
- Operating Range: -40…+85 C
- Board dimensions (W x L ): 52 x 78 ; 2.05″ x 3.07″
Supported SAE J1939 Features Include:
- Hardware is fully SAE J1939/1x compliant
- Switchable termination resistor
- SAE J1939/21 – Data Link Layer
- SAE J1939/81 – Network Management
- Setup of Preferred Node Address
- Adjustable Node Address Negotiation Range
- Message Filters
- Full Network Communication incl. Transport Protocol
- Design Tx Messages Incl. Transmission Rate
- Configuration of Request Responses
- Configuration of Request Messages
- Network Scanner (Creates a list of all nodes in the network)
The communication protocol between the gateway and the host system (PC, Embedded System, Android System, etc.) is well documented, and we provide C/C# source code to read and write CAN data frames.
In addition, the gateway is supported by our jCOM1939 Monitor, an SAE J1939 Monitoring, Analyzer and ECU Simulation software under Windows.
The jCOM1939 Monitor Software is the perfect tool to monitor, analyze, and simulate SAE J1939 data traffic. The system combines our jCOM.J1939.USB that functions as an SAE J1939 to USB (or UART) gateway.
A comprehensive and easy-to-use, easy-to-understand Windows software displays not only SAE J1939 data traffic; it also allows to scan the network, simulate an ECU (incl. full node address negotiation features), and respond to data request messages.